Skip to main content

International Students and Scholars

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu


Research Scholar - an "individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with research project at research institutions … The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor." [22 CFR 62.4(f)]

Short-Term scholar - is "a professor, research scholar, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions …" [22 CFR 62.4(b)]


  • Eligibility for the Professor, Research Category or Short-Term Scholar

    Professors and research scholars are expected to have the appropriate academic credentials. The professor or scholar should have at least a bachelor's degree with appropriate experience in the field.


    The professor or scholar cannot be placed in a position "on a tenure track." A scholar can occupy a position temporarily even if the position is on tenure-track. An example could be when a tenured professor leaves for sabbatical and a scholar temporarily replaces this professor.


    The professor or scholar will receive a 12-month bar if he/she was physically present in any J-status, for all or part of a 12-month period. If a scholar completes more than 6 months in this J-status, the scholar must return home after the completion of their time on the DS-2019. The scholar may not return to the J status until he/she has spent 12 months out of the U.S. or in another immigration category.

    The short-term category is not subject to the three-week minimum as most other exchange visitors. This category allows for short-term visits from one day to a maximum of six months; however, no extensions are available. The 12-month bar does not apply to short-term scholars since the maximum stay is six months.


    Employment for professors, researchers or short-term scholars are permitted as noted on the Form DS-2019 and may accept additional employment if authorized by the sponsor.


    22 CFR 62.20(f) - "Professors or research scholars shall conduct their exchange activity at the location(s) listed on the Form DS-2019 which could be either at the location of the exchange visitor sponsor or the site of a third party facilitating the exchange. An exchange visitor may also engage in activities at a location not listed on the Form DS-2019 if such activities constitute occasional lectures or consultations."

  • Occasional Lectures or Consultations

    These lectures and consultations must be incidental to the primary activities of the scholar. The criteria include a direct relationship to the scholar's objectives, incidental in the primary goal and not delay the completion of the visitor's program.


    All occasional lectures or consultations must be approved in advance and in writing by the Responsible Officer (RO) or (ARO) in the ISS. If the scholar will be receiving wages or other reimbursement, a letter is required from the department/individual is doing the inviting. The letter should include the duration, number of hours, field of subject, amount of compensation, an activity description and also a letter from the scholar's department head or supervisor recommending the activity. The RO/ARO must provide a letter to the scholar giving authorization for this specific employment. No Form I-9 is required since the scholar is acting as an independent contractor.


    It is recommended that the scholar visit with the ISS prior to the acceptance of the occasional lecture or consultation. The same procedure will be required if a Visiting Exchange Scholar (J-1) comes to OSU from another J program for an occasional lecture or consultation.


    For procedures on-campus employment, scholars must bring to ISS the following documents:

    • Passport
    • Current DS-2019
    • I-94 Departure Record card
    • Social Security Card or receipt
    • Letter from sponsor giving permission for employment if not OSU
    • Registration procedures

    All scholars must check into ISS. Copies of all USCIS documents need to be maintained in the scholar's file. Scholars will be required complete a data sheet, a fee of $100, to be paid by the department or scholar, and an ID number will be assigned.

  • Documents necessary for employment

    OSU International Work Permit Form

    First, you must talk to your J-1 Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) about why you want or need to work and what job would suit you best. Your J-1 RO/ARO must issue a memo giving you authorization to work. Once you have authorization to work on campus, you must obtain the OSU International Work Permit Form.

    Social Security Number

    Anyone who works in the United States must have a Social Security Number (SSN). To apply for a Social Security Number, an EV must bring along the following documents to a Social Security Administration Office:

    • Passport
    • I-94 Departure Record card
    • a copy of the DS-2019
    • J-1 Responsible Officer’s letter

    In Stillwater, this office is located at 406 E Hall of Fame Ave, Stillwater, OK 74075. You may take OSU’s gray or green line bus to this location. Tell the driver your destination.

Back To Top
SVG directory not found.