Frequently Asked Questions

Admission FAQs

  • Scholarship Information can be found here.


  • Stillwater is a small city located in the north central part of the state of Oklahoma. The nearest international airports are 70 miles from Stillwater in Oklahoma City (OKC) and Tulsa. We have implemented a Greeter Service to facilitate your travel from OKC. There is no Greeter Service available for the summer semester or for Tulsa. You will need to make your own arrangements if you fly into Tulsa or are arriving for the summer semester.

    Greeter Service

    ISS Representatives will be at the "Baggage Claim" Area at Oklahoma City (OKC) Airport on August 6th  through the 10th from 2:00pm to 10:00pm. They will greet and assist you with ground transportation arrangements from the airport to the OSU campus by Airport Express Shuttle. The cost for each van (approximately $112.00 + $3.00 for each additional person) is equally split among the passengers and billed directly to each student's Bursar Account. 

    If you wish to reserve a seat in the Airport Shuttle please complete the OSU Greeter Service Form online at: greeter-service-application (if you are unable to complete the form online, you may contact our office by phone or fax.

    Non-Greeter Service Travel to Stillwater from Oklahoma City

    If you arrive after 10:30pm or on a date not covered by our greeter service, you may choose one of the options below to travel to Stillwater. This is NOT a Free service and does require CASH for the fare.

    • Oklahoma City Airport Express (Blue Van): This service is a charter service and thus available at any time of the day. Their office is located near the baggage claim area. the cost is approximately $100. If there is more than one passenger in the van the cost is split among the passengers. Phone 405-681-3311
    • Taxi Service (Yellow Cab)
      • Phone 405-232-6161
      • Cost: Between US $110.00 and $130.00

    Travel to Stillwater from Tulsa

    There is no ISS Greeter Service at the Tulsa Airport, but you may choose the following for travel to Stillwater. 

    • Taxi Service (Yellow Cab)
      • Phone 918-582-6161
      • Cost: Between US $110.00 and $130.00
    • Official TOFEL ExaminationThe Examination must have been taken within two years from the date of application. Information regarding the TOEFL examination can be found at the Educational Testing Service website:

      Applicants may meet the English Proficiency requirements achieving the minimum required score on any following TOEFL examinations:
      • Internet-based TOEFL, minimum required score 61
      • Paper-based TOEFL, minimum required score 500


    • Official IELTS Examination, minimum required score 6.0
      The Examination must have been taken within two years from the date of application. Information regarding the IELTS examination can be found at the Cambridge Examinations and IELTS International website:

    TOEFL Waiver Requirements:

    Freshmen: 4 years of high school where English is the language of instruction in a country where English is a primary language. The TOEFL can also be waived for students who have spent two or more years studying in the U.S. and will graduate from a U.S. high school.

    Transfers: 24 hours at an institution where English is the official language, located in a country where English is a primary language.

    For a list of countries in which a waiver will be considered, please click here

  • Applicants are required to send their:

    • Undergraduate Application
    • $75.00 application fee in US dollars
    • Financial Guarantee
    • TOEFL or IELTS Scores
    • All educational documents including secondary and postsecondary transcripts
  • Notification regarding the status of a student’s application is sent within approximately 5 working days from receipt of the application. This notification will include instructions for submission of additional documentation, if needed in the decision process. The notification is sent via e-mail.

  • While there are no official deadlines for application materials we do suggest the following dates to ensure ample time to receive acceptance to OSU and your I-20. The Suggested dates are:

    • March 1 for Summer term (June)
    • May 15 for Fall term (August)
    • November 1 for Spring term (January)  

SEVIS Information

  • For spouses and dependent children (F-2, M-2, J-2) of students or exchange visitors None
    For students (F-1, F-3, M-1, M-3) $200
    For exchange visitors (J-1) $180
    Federally sponsored exchange visitor program (program codes start with G-1, G-2, or G-3) None


  • This information is for a nonimmigrant that plans to enter the United States for the first time to study. For information on bringing dependents to the US, returning to continue studies, or renewing your visa, or for more details on how to apply for a student visa, refer to the U.S. Department of State website HERE



    • Step 1

    Contact your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to ask about how to get an F-1 international student visa. A list of Consulates and Embassies can be found at HERE


    • Step 2
      After you receive a Form I-20 from Oklahoma State University, follow the US Embassy/Consulate’s instructions to schedule an interview for your F-1 student visa. It is important to apply for your student visa as far in advance as possible. Many consulates recommend that appointments be made no more than 90 days from the intended date of travel, but some can make earlier arrangements for interviews. It is important for you to plan to start the process well in advance in case of delays while obtaining your visa. More information on visa wait times.


    • Step 3
      Complete the following forms:
      • DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form


    • Step 4
      Pay the visa application fee by following instructions on your local US embassy or consulate’s web site.


    • Step 5
      If your Form I-20 is marked for "initial" attendance (see #3 on your Form I-20), you will need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee.


    • Step 6
      You will need to participate in a visa interview.
  • Students on F-1, F-3, M-1 or M-3 visas must pay the $200 SEVIS fee.  Exchange visitors (with J-1 visas) must pay the $180 SEVIS fee unless participating in federally sponsored exchange visitor programs (program codes start with G-1, G-2, or G-3).  Spouses and dependent children of students or exchange visitors do not need to pay the SEVIS fee.

    You do not need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee if you are transferring schools, extending your program, applying for an F-2 dependent visa, or have paid this fee and been denied a visa within the last twelve months.

  • Effective July 31, 2013, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) will no longer mail I-797C receipts. The payment confirmation that can be printed from the FMJFEE website will replace the I-797C mailed receipt.  The payment confirmation can be printed anytime by clicking on the ‘Check I-901 Status/Print Payment Confirmation” button.

    You must have a complete and accurate Form I-20 to complete the Form I-901 online and to pay the SEVIS Fee. Ensure a printer is connected and working before continuing. Students from Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and Gambia will not be allowed to pay by credit card online.  Students from these countries must pay by Western Union.

    To Pay Online:

    1.       Fill out Form I-901 at

    2.       Complete the form online and provide the necessary Visa, MasterCard, or American Express information to pay the $200 fee.

    a.        Enter your name and date of birth exactly as it appears on your Form I-20.

    b.       Enter the SEVIS ID Number correctly from the Form I-20.

    3.       Print a copy of the online receipt. This receipt will be shown as proof of payment to the visa-issuing officer at the US Embassy or Consulate.

    4.       Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

    To Pay by Western Union

    1.       Do not file the Form I-901 online.

    2.       Print a copy of these instructions, a copy of the Western Union form example and a copy of your I-20. Take a copy of each of these three documents with you when you visit your local Western Union Quick Pay location.

    3.       Go to a local Western Union agent location and pay the I-901 SEVIS fee in the local currency.

    4.       Review the Western Union form to make sure that the Western Union agent uses your name, your SEVIS ID number and your date of birth (not the information that appears on the Western Union form example). Find the nearest Western Union location or call the telephone number of the Western Union Commercial Services Network Agent in your country as listed in your phone book.

    5.       After three business days, check on to view your payment status. Once you see confirmation of payment on print out the confirmation page. The confirmation page is proof of payment of the I-901 SEVIS fee, and you can use it for a visa interview at a US Consulate or Embassy and for admission at a US port of entry.

    6.       If you are paying on behalf of someone else, Western Union may require you to use your own name and address. If this happens please make sure that you are entering the student’s SEVIS ID. After submitting the payment, please send an email or have the student send an email to with INFO CHANGE in the subject line. Include the SEVIS ID for which the payment was made and any information requiring an update.


    For questions please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at 405-744-5459 or by email


  • Prepare and bring the following to your visa interview:

    • A passport valid for at least six months
    • Form I-20 (sign the form under Item 11)
    • School admission letter
    • Completed visa applications (DS-160)
    • A receipt for the visa application fee, which varies by country.
    • A receipt for the SEVIS fee - If you have not received an official receipt in the mail showing payment and you paid the fee electronically, the consulate will accept the temporary receipt you printed from your computer. If you do not have a receipt, the consulate may be able to see your payment electronically if your fee payment was processed at least 3 business days before your interview.
    • Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study.
    • Provide any information proving that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include:
      • Proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
      • Proof that one or both parents is working in the home country;
      • That other family members have not immigrated to the United States;
      • That family members are not illegally present in the U.S.;
      • That the student has job prospects upon return home;
      • That the student's family is able to economically support him/her;
      • Evidence of property or business interests in the home country, etc.
    • If the applicant for a visa is a student dependent, he or she must present evidence of the relationship such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate, as well as the types of evidence previously mentioned.

    Remain calm and answer all questions asked to you openly and honestly.

  • Immigration regulations can be difficult to understand. Please check this link for the basic guidelines that you will need to follow to maintain your immigration status as a student while you are in the U.S. There is a lot of information about immigration regulations throughout the ISS website. If you have any questions or difficulties once you arrive, come to the ISS office. Immigration counselors are available to answer questions and help you successfully navigate the immigration system and maintain your status.

Employment FAQs

  • ·         Job database: Hire System

    1.       After logging in, click on “Search Jobs & On-Campus Interviews”

    2.       Click on “Advanced/Basic Search”

    3.       Select “Legally authorized to work in the United States and WILL require employment visa sponsorship now or in the future”

    4.       Enter in any other search criteria and begin your search!


    ·         Other job sites


  • International students can often face many obstacles when seeking employment in the US. Below are some of the reasons US employers may choose not to or may be unable to hire international students:

    • Complicated hiring process

    The process of hiring an international student takes more time and involves more steps than that of a US citizen. This process includes filing paperwork with the federal government, paying additional fees, and complying with special labor laws.

    • Communication skills

    Employers often worry that international students will lack some of the verbal and written communication skills necessary to perform well in the workplace.

    • Job commitment

    Some employers fear that international students will quickly return to their home countries after only a short time on the job. They are reluctant to invest time, training, and money in employees who are not committed to their companies. 

    • They can’t

    Many companies that are working on projects for the federal government are unable to hire internationals to work in those areas due to concerns of national security.  Additionally, any company receiving funding from the federal government is not allowed to use that money to hire international students or have international students involved in projects or internships for which that funding may be used.

  • First, don’t get discouraged. While the process may seem too difficult, with the right tools and hard work, there is good reason for you to be hopeful about your job search. Here are some helpful tips to get you started:

    • Start early and network

    Do not wait until your last semester to start looking for jobs. Go to OSU career fairs, apply for internships, and start preparing your professional documents (e.g. resume, cover letter) soon. Get to know you professors early and develop relationships with others who can function as professional references. The earlier you start, the better chance you will have at success.

    • Do Research

    Learn as much as you can about your visa status and the process of hiring students for OPT, CPT, or as a graduate with an H-1B visa. Be ready to answer questions an employer might ask about this process. The more information you can give them, the easier the process may seem.

    • Target your job search

    Do not just apply to hundreds of position at once. Instead, find those companies willing to hire international students and who are looking for employees with your skills and background. Tailoring your resume, cover letter, and other documents to fit what these companies are looking for will give you a greater chance at finding a job.

    • “Sell yourself”

    Learn how to talk about your strengths and abilities. Learn how to turn what some employers may view as disadvantages into advantages. For instance, if they worry about your language abilities, bring attention to the fact that you speak another language(s). In our global economy, this can be very valuable. Also, highlight things such as your intercultural skills and adaptability. Your willingness to travel to the US for education could easily translate into a willingness to travel for a future job. Be honest about your strengths and learn to communicate them to prospective employers.

    • Practice language and interpersonal skills

    The best way to prove to an employer that your language and interpersonal skills are adequate for the job is to practice often. Practice conversational and written English skills. Make friends with American students with whom you can practice and work diligently to improve your communication skills. Invest time in learning interview skills such as eye contact, greetings, and body language.

    • Be upfront and honest

    Honesty and integrity are essential to the job search. Represent yourself accurately in all of your communication with employers, whether in an email, a resume, or an interview. One simple way to do this is by including your visa status on your resume. See a Career Consultant for suggestions on how to do this professionally.

    • Work hard

    Even with these tips, the job search process will require a lot of hard work. Use your time wisely, and use the resources available to you, such as OSU Career Services!

International Program in China FAQs

There are currently no published FAQ's in the International Program in China category.